PBA takes All-Star festivities to provinces anew

first_imgJake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ MOST READ The format for this season’s All-Star Game has not yet to be agreed on, but the Board expressed its satisfaction of how the public embraced the midseason celebration.Last year, the PBA scrapped the traditional North versus South format and instead,  pitted Gilas Pilipinas against superstars from Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao in three separate games.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next The all-Filipino and Commissioner’s Cups will see the top two squads gaining a twice-to-beat advantage against the bottom two in the quarterfinals, while the four middle teams face off in a best-of-three series.Meanwhile, the top four teams in the Governors’ Cup will have twice-to-beat edge in the playoffs.Also, the 2018 PBA All-Star Game will once again be a three-leg event just like the previous year.The Luzon leg will be in Batangas, Davao will be the stage in Mindanao while the Visayas tilt is still up for bidding.“The members of the PBA board were all happy with the turnout of each game, thus, they want another Luzon-Visayas-Mindanao series,” said PBA director for external affairs Willie Marcial.ADVERTISEMENT It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Derrick Pumaren unsure of return to UE Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments PBA IMAGESComing off another banner year, the PBA will still adopt the same three-conference format for the upcoming 43rd season.The Board of Governors resolved the issue in the last board meeting in Manila before team representatives flew to Los Angeles for the annual planning sessions.ADVERTISEMENT Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set Locals will take center stage once again as the PBA opens with the Philippine Cup, set to tip off on December 17.Import-spiced conferences, meanwhile, will continue with height limits for the reinforcements already set — 6-foot-10 for the Commissioner’s Cup and 6-foot-5 for the Governors Cup.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smogSan Miguel reigned in the first two conferences last season, but their bid to be the sixth team to complete a Grand Slam feat was foiled when Barangay Ginebra successfully defended its throne in the season-ending tournament.All three conferences will have a single round-robin elimination phase, with the top eight teams progressing to the playoffs.  OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny Redemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie Thompson LATEST STORIES Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales?last_img read more

GPSU not informed of situation at A&E Unit – GS

first_imgKempton-AlexanderGuyana Public Service Union (GPSU) General Secretary Kemton Alexander has disclosed that the Union was not informed of the unhealthy situation at the Accident and Emergency (A&E) Unit of the Georgetown Public Hospital.His remarks came after he was questioned about concerns raised in sections of the media that patients with infectious diseases were being left in the A&E Unit for a numbers of days, as there was no space for them in the other wards.According to the GPSU Secretary, while he was not informed of the current situation, he knows that in the past there were similar issues reported and those were dealt with. He also noted that the Union was going to look into the issue and take swift action where necessary.The Hospital’s CEO, Alan Johnson told the media; however, that measures were already being put in place to facilitate the patients.Johnson was shown photographs of a patient who was visibly sick lying on the floor of the A&E Unit with a respirator on.Medical professionals have said that this is an issue that has been ongoing for the past three weeks. They are fearful that some of the patients, especially those infected with Tuberculosis (TB), that are left in the Unit for a number of days, will infect other patients.Sources have also said that the Hospital has been overcrowded with patients not being treated occupying the chairs, beds and floors in the ward.Public Health Minister, Dr George Norton, in an invited comment, admitted that the Ministry was aware of the ongoing issue at the Unit and had already begun to initiate projects to address this.Noting that a long-term solution would only be derived after discussions at the level of Government, he said the Ministry had started to implement its short-term projects, which have gotten positive reviews from the public.Dr Norton said the situation was generally triggered by a breakdown of other health facilities across the country. When patients visit these other health institutions and do not get the requisite medical treatment, they often end up at the country’s premier facility, the Georgetown Public Hospital. The patients are usually transferred to the hospital late at nights.Norton said that this contributed to the build-up of persons thus causing overcrowding.Additionally, with there being a lack of beds at the institution, the problem is amplified to an extent that has become unbearable for the medical personnel at the facility.According to Norton, the Government is trying everything in its power to have this issue addressed immediately.While a feasible solution would be to extend the Unit, the Minister pointed out that there was little space to facilitate an extension. He did say, however, that a possible approach would be to create an annex to the hospital.In the interim, the Health Minister said doctors and nurses were being trained to become more advanced in their response to emergency cases so that overcrowding at the Unit was reduced.Also, he noted that the Government was currently assessing health facilities across the country so that they would be able to offer similar services as the Georgetown Public Hospital, thereby reducing the congestion of the premier health facility.last_img read more

4 arrested over illegal gun, ammo find

first_imgFour persons have been taken into Police custody following the discovery of an unlicensed gun with six live matching rounds.Reports are ranks of a mobile patrol, acting on information received, intercepted a motorcar on Princes Street, Georgetown, at around 22:30h on Thursday night.They found, concealed in the vehicle, an unlicensed .380 pistol with six live matching rounds.The suspects, including a woman, have all been detained and are assisting with the investigation.last_img

Movie Gallery shutting doors

first_imgBy Energeticcity.ca staff The Movie Gallery has announced it will be closing most of its stores nationwide, beginning this weekend.- Advertisement -The closures include the Fort St. John branch, which will hold an inventory liquidation sale beginning on Saturday.131 outlets in total will close, and $33 million worth of merchandise will be sold.A press release says “The at-home video rental market has become increasingly more challenging with the rise of strong competition from cable providers, internet, kiosk operators and subscription-based mail delivery services”The Edmonton Journal reports the chain’s U.S. stores will also close.Advertisementlast_img read more

SHAY FORGIVES HENRY FOR WORLD CUP ROBBERY

first_imgBig-hearted Shay Given has forgiven French soccer star Thierry Henry for robbing him of his World Cup dream.The Lifford man said he doesn’t hold a grudge after Henry handled the ball and sent Ireland crashing out of the World Cup qualifiers two years ago.Shay said “I don’t hold a grudge. It’s all water under the bridge now. “I think some really harsh stuff has been written about him but I don’t follow that line of thought.”The Aston Villa man lines up against Henry against Arsenal tomorrow but admits that players do handle the ball.“He handballed it and sometimes players do that. His was quite a blatant one and he probably thought himself that the referee would pick it up. But I don’t blame him.“In a sense, it wasn’t even Thierry Henry’s fault, it was the officials who never saw it,” he said. Given said he was determined to make sure he enjoyed every minute of this summer’s European Championships in Poland and The Ukraine.“It has been a long time coming but I am determined to enjoy every minute of it,” he said. SHAY FORGIVES HENRY FOR WORLD CUP ROBBERY was last modified: January 28th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:HANDBALLShay GivenTHIERRY HENRYWORLD CUPlast_img read more

PENSIONERS ‘BLOCKED INTO HOMES’ AS IRISH WATER DIG UP DONEGAL ESTATE – CLAIM

first_imgResidents in Glenties are up in arms after claims that Irish Water have made local pensioners “prisoners in their own homes.”One of the elderly residents on Dr McCloskey Crescent.The company arrived at Dr McCloskey Crescent this morning which is home to 24 local residents.Local community campaigner Brian Carr said none of the elderly residents were given notice of the arrival of Irish water. He also claims that many of the pensioners can now no longer use their footpaths as they have been dug up.“As you can see from the photos they are blocked in their houses with no footpath to walk on. I spoke to some of the residents and they are not happy that they woke up to this this morning without any warning.“One woman who had to travel 100m to the day care centre had to phone her son to come and take her by car a journey which she always walks,” said Mr Carr.He added that he has spoken with the Irish water foreman who claimed that all residents had been notified of their arrival.  PENSIONERS ‘BLOCKED INTO HOMES’ AS IRISH WATER DIG UP DONEGAL ESTATE – CLAIM was last modified: April 27th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Picture Special: Niall MacEachmharcaigh honoured at special council reception

first_imgWell known Donegal writer, director and actor Niall Mac Eachmharcaigh was today honoured at a special reception in the Dungloe Public Service Centre for his outstanding career achievements. Niall Mac Eachmharcaigh is best known for playing the part of John Joe Daly in TG4’s Irish-language drama, Ros na Rún.  He started his acting career in theatre and has also written a number of TV shows, including the award-winning comedy CU Burn which he also directed. Niall is a native of Rann na Feirste and has starred in Irelands longest running TV drama for over 16 years.Donegal writer, director and actor Niall Mac Eachmharcaigh who was honoured at a special reception in the Dungloe Public Service Centre on Friday evening for his outstanding achievements. Photo Clive WassonDonegal writer, director and actor Niall Mac Eachmharcaigh who was honoured at a special reception in the Dungloe Public Service Centre on Friday evening for his outstanding achievements. Seated from left are Cathaoirleach of the Municipal District Cllr Micheal Cholm MacGiolla Easbuig, Niall Mac Eachmharcaigh and Anne Mac Eachmharcaigh. Back from left Michael McGarvey, Director of Services, Eamon Brown, Donegal County Council, Marie Therese Gallagher, Pearse Doherty, TD, Pat the Cope Gallagher, TD, Cllr Seamus O´Domhnaill and Cllr Enda Bonner. Photo Clive WassonThe reception on Friday afternoon was hosted by the Glenties Municipal District of Donegal County Council. Speaking at the special event, Cathaoirleach of the Municipal District Cllr Micheal Cholm MacGiolla Easbuig said he was delighted to be hosting this event in honour of Niall Mac Eachmharcaigh’s outstanding contribution as a writer, director and actor and in particular his contribution to the Irish language.Cathaoirleach of the Municipal District Cllr Micheal Cholm MacGiolla Easbuig presenting the scrool to Donegal writer, director and actor Niall Mac Eachmharcaigh who was honoured at a special reception in the Dungloe Public Service Centre on Friday evening for his outstanding achievements. Photo Clive WassonCllr Micheal Cholm MacGiolla Easbuig said: “It is a great pleasure and honour for me coming from the same community and being a close personal friend of Niall’s to be in a position to host this special event to honour his contribution to the arts and in particular to the Irish language. Niall has continued the wonderful tradition of writing in our native language building on the rich legacy of our heritage in the Rann na Feirste community.  He has written scores of plays and is renowned throughout the island of Ireland as a wonderful writer.”Niall Mac Eachmharcaigh. Photo Clive WassonDeirdre Forker daughter of Mr. Mac Eachmharcaigh. Photo Clive WassonMichael McGarvey Director of Services. Photo Clive WassonA special message from Uachtarán na hÉireann Michael D. Higgins was read out during the ceremony.  An Uachtarán na hÉireann acknowledged Niall’s loyalty to his native language and to his native Rann na Feirste and described him as a great representative of his community.Niall Mac Eachmharcaigh was presented with the special scroll to mark the occasion of the reception.Donegal writer, director and actor Niall Mac Eachmharcaigh who was honoured at a special reception in the Dungloe Public Service Centre on Friday evening for his outstanding achievements with invited guests and family. Photo Clive WassonGuest at the special reception for Donegal writer, director and actor Niall Mac Eachmharcaigh was honoured at a special reception in the Dungloe Public Service Centre on Friday evening for his outstanding achievements. Photo Clive WassonPicture Special: Niall MacEachmharcaigh honoured at special council reception was last modified: April 20th, 2018 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Cllr Micheal Cholm MacGiolla Easbuigcouncil receptionGlenties Municipal DistrictNiall Mac EachmharcaighRann na Feirstelast_img read more

A’s offense, bullpen picks up Trevor Cahill to complete sweep of Rangers

first_imgOAKLAND — Even on days the A’s don’t plan on utilizing the “bullpenning” strategy, it seems to be working out that way lately.A day after Edwin Jackson’s start lasted just three innings, Trevor Cahill struggled to throw strikes and turned in his shortest outing of the season. But the A’s offense and bullpen bailed out the right-hander to complete a sweep of the Texas Rangers in Sunday’s 7-3 victory, bringing the A’s within 2 1/2 games of the Yankees for the top wild card spot with 18 …last_img read more

Live playoff updates: Warriors come back and win Game 2

first_imgJoin us Thursday at 6 p.m. for live scoring, news and analysis as the Warriors look to protect home court again in Game 2 of the Western Conference Finals against the Portland Trail Blazers at Oracle.Strength in Numbers was more than an old slogan for the Warriors in Game 1 as they used some strong bench contributions to help fuel a 116-94 Game 1 victory on Tuesday night. Kevon Looney, Quinn Cook, Shaun … Click here if you’re unable to view the video or gallery on your mobile device.last_img read more

Warriors on TV: Klay Thompson, sideline reporter? Say what?

first_img … You’ve heard of “China Klay” and “Headband Klay.” Now, get ready for “Reporter Klay.”During Monday night’s edition of “Warriors Pregame Live” on NBC Sports Bay Area, Greg Papa announced that injured guard Klay Thompson will serve as a sideline reporter during the entire second quarter of Wednesday night’s game against the Chicago Bulls.Related Articles Warriors resemble team of old, Kevon Looney isn’t ready, and other thoughts from loss to Trail Blazers last_img read more