Henderson bluegrass festival honors hall-of-fame founder

first_img By Jaine Treadwell Wiley Locklar made the property available to Ol’ Rex’s friends. Led by Austin, Shelby Carghile and Bobby Jackson, Henderson is still alive with bluegrass music. Book Nook to reopen Published 3:00 am Tuesday, April 17, 2018 The Penny Hoarder Issues “Urgent” Alert: 6 Companies… Latest Stories Plans underway for historic Pike County celebration Troy falls to No. 13 Clemson Skip At noon Saturday, friends of the late Rex Locklar had the opportunity to be a part of his induction into the Alabama Bluegrass Music Hall of Fame. Pictured with Rex Locklar’s Alabama Bluegrass Music Hall of Fame plaque are, from left, his brother, Wiley Locklar, and dedicated friends, Shelby Carghile, Bobby Jackson and Pete Austin. Print Article On Saturday afternoon at the Henderson Bluegrass Festival, attending friends of Rex Locklar had the opportunity to be a part of his induction into the Alabama Bluegrass Music Hall of Fame.“The annual memorial service was something Rex started many years ago to honor the members of our bluegrass family that had died since the last festival,” Austin said. “We wanted, not only to call Rex’s name, but also to acknowledge his induction into the bluegrass hall of fame.”Locklar’s brother, Wiley Locklar, accepted the plaque on behalf the Locklar family and expressed appreciation for the longtime and dedicated support of “Ol’ Rex” and his bluegrass festivals. By The Penny Hoarder Email the author “Rex was a member of the Goshen High School Class of 1944,” Locklar said. “He served in the Army from January 1945 until 1947. He was at Pearl Harbor after the bombing and it was there that he put together a little ol’ band. Rex was a good musician and he could sing.”When Locklar came home from the Army, he worked on the farm and at the family store. When the Henderson school was closed, the property reverted back to the Locklar family. Wiley Locklar said Rex began having square dances at the old schoolhouse. But soon, bluegrass music took center stage. When Locklar died in February 2014, his friends were determined that bluegrass music in rural Henderson would not die. You Might Like Sponsored Content On March 3, 2018, the Alabama Bluegrass Music Hall Association inducted Rex Locklar into the Alabama Bluegrass Hall of Fame. The award was awarded to Pike County’s Mister Bluegrass posthumously in Birmingham.Locklar’s family members and many friends traveled to the “Magic City” for the induction but Ol’ Rex, as he was affectionately known, had more friends than, as Pete Austin said, “you could shake a stick at.”“Everybody loved Ol’ Rex,” Austin said. “Those that didn’t get to go to the induction were disappointed. Rex had been hosting bluegrass jamborees at Henderson for 48 years. So, not everybody that wanted to be there could get there.” Pike County Sheriff’s Office offering community child ID kits Henderson bluegrass festival honors hall-of-fame founder Remember America’s heroes on Memorial Day Around the WebIf You Have Ringing Ears Do This Immediately (Ends Tinnitus)Healthier LivingMd: Do This Immediately if You Have Diabetes (Watch)Blood Sugar BlasterHave an Enlarged Prostate? Urologist Reveals: Do This Immediately (Watch)Healthier LivingWomen Only: Stretch This Muscle to Stop Bladder Leakage (Watch)Healthier LivingRemoving Moles & Skin Tags Has Never Been This EasyEssential HealthRemember Them? I’m Sure Their New Net Worth Will Leave You SpeechlessbradofoThe content you see here is paid for by the advertiser or content provider whose link you click on, and is recommended to you by Revcontent. As the leading platform for native advertising and content recommendation, Revcontent uses interest based targeting to select content that we think will be of particular interest to you. We encourage you to view your opt out options in Revcontent’s Privacy PolicyWant your content to appear on sites like this?Increase Your Engagement Now!Want to report this publisher’s content as misinformation?Submit a ReportGot it, thanks!Remove Content Link?Please choose a reason below:Fake NewsMisleadingNot InterestedOffensiveRepetitiveSubmitCancel Rivals clash: Eagles outslug Bulldogs in 10-0 win on senior night The Goshen Eagles handled rival Pike County 10-0 in five innings on Monday afternoon on a day they honored their… read morelast_img read more

Five Chinese workers isolated at N. Sumatra project site after returning from China

first_imgKaro Health Agency head Irna Syafrina said that the five workers were currently under observation, and that they would be taken to Adam Malik Central General Hospital in Medan if they started to show any symptoms of coronavirus infection.Irna said that three of the workers had returned from China on Jan. 31 and the two others on Feb. 3. However, none had come from Wuhan – the city in Hubei province that is the outbreak’s epicenter.Chinese authorities recorded 636 deaths from 2019-nCoV acute respiratory disease, with more than 30,000 confirmed cases on Feb. 7, AFP reported. Indonesia has no confirmed cases of the coronavirus to date. “We have been surveilling developments [in the workers’ health] for two days,” Irna said on Friday, adding that the workers were not showing any symptoms and their health status was “normal”.”If we observe any symptoms within 14 days, all [five workers] will be transported to Adam Malik hospital, including anyone who has been in [direct] contact with them. Isolation is a must,” she added.Adam Malik is among 14 referral hospitals in Medan for treating coronavirus cases. The hospital has readied a special team of 20 doctors to attend to patients from Aceh, North Sumatra and Riau.Ade Rahmaini, the head of Adam Malik hospital’s coronavirus management team, said the team had admitted one suspected case in January from a private hospital in Medan. The patient had tested negative for 2019-nCoV. (dev)Topics : Five Chinese nationals who had recently returned to Indonesia from China have been placed in isolation at the site of the Laubiang hydropower plant project in Kandibata village of Karo regency, North Sumatra.Ginting, the overseer of the construction project, said on Thursday that the five Chinese workers were isolated immediately upon their arrival at the site following their return from China to prevent the possible spread of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).He added that many Chinese workers had been hired for the Laubiang hydropower plant construction project.last_img read more

Steve McClaren confident Newcastle will avoid the drop despite Watford loss

first_img But McClaren was buoyed by his team’s performance at Vicarage Road and is confident they will retain their top-flight status. “We just said to the players that we won’t have a problem if we keep performing like that every week,” said McClaren, whose side are 18th in the league, one point adrift of Swansea. “Many people questioned the attitude of these players earlier this season and whether they cared. Of course they do and you saw that today and in recent weeks. I thought we did everything today but win the game. “It is disappointing and frustrating because we are not getting the results we deserve. But it is all about goals and if you don’t score you don’t win.” Watford caught Newcastle cold on the restart after Troy Deeney’s dinked through-ball fell to the feet of Ighalo who rounded Rob Elliot to score his 14th goal of the season. The visitors then failed to clear their lines from a corner and Cathcart converted from six yards. After Lascelles’ headed home a Jonjo Shelvey corner, Newcastle, who have scored just six goals on their travels this season, pressed for an equaliser but they were made to rue a number of missed opportunities. “Their first goal looked offside but he got the decision,” added McClaren of Ighalo’s opener. “The first 10 minutes of the second period were very disappointing after what I thought was a very good first half. Steve McClaren insists Newcastle will avoid relegation from the Barclays Premier League despite suffering a 2-1 defeat at Watford on Saturday. Odion Ighalo ended his four-game drought without a goal after he scored the opener just 44 seconds into the second half. Craig Cathcart then doubled Watford’s lead shortly before the hour mark. Jamaal Lascelles pulled one back for Newcastle, but the defeat – their third against Watford this season – leaves the Magpies occupying the relegation zone. “It gave us a mountain to climb which the players aimed to do and very nearly did. It was a good performance, but what wins games is at both ends and that has cost us today. “At the moment that is letting us down and putting us in the position we are in. You can’t fault the team, the football, the organisation. They are working hard, they are fighting, they are giving everything, but is just shows you with Ighalo and Deeney that you need quality at both ends.” For Watford, they ended a four-match losing run in the league and manager Quique Sanchez Flores was delighted to return to winning ways. “I am really, really happy with the victory and the performance of the players,” said Flores whose side moved up to 10th in the table. “We came off a very bad run, and in terms of the feelings, it is difficult to convince the players it is just a bad run. I know how it works with the mentality of the players – they are a little bit down – so for us today it was very important. “We are in the top half so we have a lot of reasons to be happy and we have to enjoy it. The target is the same – to survive in the category.” Press Associationlast_img read more

VFS Final Project Iridescence

first_imgAdvertisement Facebook “The acting and dancing by all the performances are excellent, in fact, I’d go as far as to say that there is nothing in the short film that I didn’t like. The production design was well thought out, the directing was sublime and the music worked very well with the cinematography. One aspect that really stood out (for me personally) was the editing by Duy N. Bui; using some excellent flashy techniques that never look gimmicky or out of place, the film is cut in such a way that it just raises the production to another level.Iridescence is a fantastic short film that totally deserves at least eight minutes of your time. It’s different and, when it’s done as well as this, that’s nothing but a good thing.” – Screen Critix“Iridescence is an incredible show of ability. The actors, or, rather, the dancers who act, truly personify the guiding emotions with which they wrestle over the course of this eight-minute short film.” – Hollywood North Magazine“Using excellent production design, a carefully crafted music score and skilled editing, IRIDESCENCE is a gripping artistic treatise about tolerance and family that you will be thinking about for quite awhile afterwards. It is beginning to play the festival circuit now and I highly recommend seeing it if you get the chance.” – Diamond in the RoughWith a couple laurels on hand, the Iridescence team is hoping for more to come and share this visually-entertaining well thought of short film.Check out the Trailer here: Advertisement Twitter Here are some of the reviews this film has acquired. Iridescence is currently making its round in the film festival circuit and hoping to have more.““Iridescence” successfully tackles a very tough and emotional topic about acceptance, ignorance, and misunderstanding and evokes very intense emotions about how absolutely impossible it can be to topple labels and hopefully maintain a semblance of humanity. “Iridescence” is a striking and moving experimental short worth seeking out, and I hope to see more from director Max Beauchamp in the future.” – Cinema-Crazed LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Login/Register With: Advertisementlast_img read more

The legacy that Mayor Faulconer leaves behind after the 2020 elections

first_img KUSI Newsroom The legacy that Mayor Faulconer leaves behind after the 2020 elections Posted: July 30, 2019 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) –  With the 2020 elections just sixteen months away, Mayor Faulconer’s time in office is coming to an end, but how will he be remembered? Here to discuss this and more is KUSI’s contributor and AM-760 radio host, Mark Larson. July 30, 2019 KUSI Newsroom, Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more